Day One – Thursday 15th August

Today I began my journey to Ghana for the trip that I have been planning for six months. It is the first time that I have travelled to another country entirely on my own. For this reason I was understandably apprehensive for what was to come during the car journey to Heathrow this morning. I started to panic about whether I had packed everything that I needed even though I had already checked several times on that morning alone.

All in all, the journey hasn’t been too bad! I even managed to sleep for most of the first flight from London to Istanbul; I find it very difficult to get to sleep whilst travelling and especially on planes which are cramped and cold. My sleep helped with the rest of the journey I think. It also helped that I succeeded in blagging my way through negotiations to get a seat by the emergency exit so I had leg room.

I have eaten the tastiest plane meal that I’ve ever had just now and was so surprised that I enjoyed it! I was peppers stuffed with Chilli beef and a pannacotta dessert. I didn’t imagine that I would enjoy Turkish food. The stewardesses keep bringing all different foods and rolls and nuts which I’ve had to turn down because I’m so full!

So far I’ve watched Captain America and Identity Thief; which was not really very good but it helped the time pass. I have one and a half hours left until I land in Accra. I’m nervous but excited to get things kicked off after waiting since February. I have to meet Nyame at arrivals and then I’ll go to the Pig Farm to meet Bernice and the other volunteer I’m staying with.

I have my induction tomorrow! I can’t believe the trip has come around so quickly! I can’t wait to get to sleep though!

22.00 Ghanaian Time (Subsequent entries in Ghanaian time zone)

It took ages to collect my bags from the carousel but after finally retrieving them I met Nyame after dodging several offers from taxi drivers.

Nyame took my bags and we left the airport in a car which he had sorted. The first thing I noticed upon disembarkation from my flight was the wall of moist, warm air that greeted me. It felt almost tropical and was certainly stifling; and this is Ghanaian winter!

Upon arrival at Pig Farm – a district of Accra not an actual pig farm, I met Bernice Gyanfosu and William Jinks, fellow volunteer, and conversed with them for a while. I then set my mosquito net on my huge bed and promptly fell asleep.

Nyame had told me my Ghanaian name – Kwasi – because I was born on Sunday. In Ghanaian culture, everyone has a ‘day name’ which is put in front of their given name.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: